A spectacular shrimp recipe featuring one of the seven fish dishes prepared in our documentary the Feast of the 7 Fishes http://www/7fishes.com.
Italian Style Shrimp, Broiled or Grilled (serves 6)
These delicate morsels are a far cry from those heavily breaded deep fried
shrimp served in so many restaurants. These are not battered fried but
enrobed in a light coating of olive oil, bread crumbs and seasonings to
provide a delicate protective covering and then broiled.
You must use your own judgment in the perfect amount of oil and breadcrumbs.
This will vary depending on the size of the shrimp as smaller shrimp have
more surface area and will require a bit more oil. There should be just
enough oil to coat the shrimp and just enough breadcrumbs to retain the oil
and provide a thin coating. Be sure to use the best quality shrimp you can
1 ½ lbs. large shrimp
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T vegetable oil (I prefer peanut oil)
2/3 cup fine dry plain breadcrumbs
½ t freshly grated lemon rind
½ t minced garlic
2 t finely minced parsley
¾ t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and devein shrimp leaving tails intact. Rinse under cold water and
2. In a bowl large enough to generously accommodate shrimp, mix both oils
and then the shrimp. Toss.
3. Add as many breadcrumbs as needed to form a light, even coating.
4. Add lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss again and allow to rest 15
minutes before proceeding.
5. Place on a lightly oiled grill rack under a hot broiler or on a stovetop
grill pan for 2 to 3 minutes per side, no longer than it takes to form a
crisp, golden crust.
6. Serve immediately with lemon wedges. If you’d like a change from the
ubiquitous marinara dipping sauce, make some tartar sauce to serve
(Adapted from a recipe by Marcella Hazan)
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
2 medium gherkins or cornichons, finely diced
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T parsley, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe by Phyllis Kirigin